10 November 2010

WHISK Espresso Bar + Bake Shop

A small group of us were heading to a friend's place for yet another round of mutton and curry for teatime, so we decided to meet up earlier for lunch at Subang Jaya's Empire Shopping Gallery. Now, the first complaint--which is completely unrelated to the topic--the toilets on the ground floor stink immensely. An unholy combination of urine and garbage creates a truly malodorous environment. Yucks. After having lunch at Pasta Zanmai (the review will come later) we thought to ourselves, what's a better way to wash down high-starch content food? why, with desserts, of course!

Narrow as narrow is.
Tucked away (yes, I am using tucked away again) in a small shoplot near the Jaya Grocer is the quaint but dusky WHISK Espresso Bar + Bake Shop. I'm not sure why the whisk is in capitals but let's assume they use it for whisking activities. Upon walking in, you'll realise how small the premises are and with my wide shoulders I nearly took down the cash register. I kid you not.

No Twilight fan's blood was used during the making of this cupcake.
 My sister and our friend, Paramore, ordered the red velvet cupcake and a slice of cake called, in Wolverine's voice, Bub's. Red velvet cakes get the colour not from having a Twilight fan's blood but by red colouring (DUH). It was bland and dry, kind of like the sponge cake you can get from Baker's Cottage.

Hey bub, I'm Bub. 
The Bub's cake was interesting, it's a 3-tier cake with bananas, layered with peanut butter and topped with cream cheese frosting. For all you bodybuilders, peanut butter is your friend, cream no. This is surely their best cake.  

Marble cake. Sweet but dry.
Cafe latte. I did not get to try this. Pretty pattern, though.
Super Shopper ordered the marble cake and a cafe latte. The cake was colourful and cheery-looking. Too bad it didn't taste as good as it looked. It was too sweet for me and just like the red velvet cupcake, the texture was dry. As for the cafe latte, I didn't taste it but I did admire its pretty design.

WHISK also has macaroons, which they call macarons (related to macaroni?), in a myriad of colours and flavours. It costs RM2 for one that's about the size of a cookie. They better be good. Apart from desserts, they also have pizzas and pastas (if I remember correctly). Pizza looked like it came from a microwave pack, though.

Cartoon caricature adorn the mirrored walls. Cute.






Beatle-esque designs? I reckon so.













Prices are decent, ranged between RM2 to RM15 for most items. Despite its limited seating and narrowness, I wouldn't rule out from patronising there again on a lazy Sunday afternoon with friends. I found it to be a great spot to gossip.

Yes, I said it, even bodybuilders gossip.

Pros:
  • I'll say it again, it's a little quaint hole in the wall that's a great spot for people to hang out.
  • Good music selection. They played The Beatles which is a damn good thing in my book.
Cons:
  • Food was presented nicely but the taste was so-so. 
  • Prices are a wee bitty high.
Stay tuned, stay hungry.

WHISK Espresso Bar + Bake Shop
LG 03A Empire Shopping Gallery
(Very near to the Jaya Grocer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. If it's nice, you get a pat on the back. If it's not, you get a pat on the back as well. With a 20kg dumbbell.