09 April 2011

Kiki by Fong Lye

This post has been a long time coming. But the good news is that I'm back! Hopefully, I won't pull another Harry Houdini again act but we'll never know, right? Anyway, onward to the food. 


Last year, me and my mates when we were still working at one of the Petronas Twin Towers, checked out the just opened Kiki by Fong Lye. Now, if it sounds familiar, you'll just have to poke your head at the 3rd (or is it 4th?) floor of The Gardens Mall and you'll see wave after wave of Chinese folk stuffing their faces with delectables from the island of Taiwan.


In all honesty, I dislike Taiwanese food. It's all show but no tell. It's all pretty with no substance. More pertinently, the flavours just plain bore me.


It was a sunny Friday afternoon that day and already there was a crowd. We managed to get a table and it just fit us. Comfortably? Not so but it wasn't that bad either. After deliberating what to eat, we ordered and waited.


Duck Noodles with (Salty as Heck) Soup
First up, was Harald's Duck Noodles with soup that reminded me of the sea. Yes, salty as all hell. Even the duck slices were not spared of the salty treatment. The only positive was Harald not finishing it all because if he had done so he would be popping anti-hysteria pills.


Jar Mien
Next was ST's Jar Mien. As you can see, it came with deep-fried tofu thingies, with a croquette that oozed cream of an unidentifiable nature and herbal chicken soup. Yet another salty extravaganza. We're on a roll, people.


Rice with Fried Chicken
Now, we come to Klutz's meal that had the same side dishes as ST but his main was rice and fried chicken. Did you say salty? Why, you're a genius!


Sweet-and-sour chicken with rice
Salty? If that was your first thought, I commend you...NOT. My meal, surprisingly, was not salty, just right. I could have done with more chicken but at least I didn't have to worry about any heart-related diseases. That would just wreck my muscles, indeed.


The herbal soup with a piece of chicken. Not a fan of herbal soups but this was not bad.


The rice came with some chicken and pickled ginger. Oh, how I hate pickled ginger.


The bill came to about RM100 plus taxes as each meal was about RM20 as it were a part of a set that included the aforementioned bits. Prices about RM15 to RM25 if I'm correct while drinks can reach RM10 for one of them dreaded beverages with them jelly balls. They are somewhat reasonable if you take into account the preparation and portion given. Will I go there again? Nope. This place further solidifies my disdain towards Taiwanese cuisine. 

I'm just glad my food didn't turn out crappy. 


Pros:
  • My food didn't suck.
Cons:
  • Salty.
  • Salty.
  • Salty.
  • Decor and ambience were all right, nothing special. 

Stay tuned, stay hungry. 

Kiki

Lot 426-427, 4th Floor, Suria KLCC,
Kuala Lumpur City Centre,
50088 Kuala Lumpur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. If it's nice, you get a pat on the back. If it's not, you get a pat on the back as well. With a 20kg dumbbell.